Wednesday, July 16, 2008

múm: Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy

Let's talk underrated albums of '07; I was a fan of múm's fourth album, Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy when it was released, but there wasn't much separating me from the album's detractors (it has a 66 on review collector website Metacritic). But after having the album for nearly a year, it's grown on me considerably and my incredulity at all the negative reviews has increased mightly. Pitchfork's review contained this line "While this is certainly not a great record, it probably has broader appeal." which really puzzles me. What exactly, about a weird psychtronic album with lots of bizzare samples and traditional instruments is more appealing than the band's early albums, full of warm and gentle electronica and the gorgeous vocals of Kría Brekkan? (who left the band before Go Go was recorded) Nothing, what makes this album great is it's mix of joyful pop moments, and abstruse, artsy sequences. Is it múm's best album? No, but is it at all a bad album? Absolutely not, it's a charming, occasionally otherworldly sounding album that is a good listen no matter who you are.
Listen ("Dancing Behind My Eyelids")

No comments: